Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need a Master’s (MS) degree before applying for the PhD program?
No. You can apply directly to the PhD program.

Do I need a background in biology?
You must have three credits of undergraduate or graduate level biology for the PhD and MS programs. If you have no biology course you may be admitted provisionally on the stipulation that you complete a biology course during your first term.

What is the requirement on the TOEFL for financial assistance?
To be admitted to the program, the student must have a TOEFL of at least 100.

What kinds of financial assistance are available for new international students?
New international students are eligible for graduate student researcher stipends (GSR) and if they have good English skills and some background in statistics they are eligible for a teaching assistantship (TA). Both of these require 20 hours of work per week, and provide a monthly stipend along with a tuition waiver. Please see the financial aid page.

Do you have support for MS students?
The department does not provide funding for MS students. Many MS students obtain hourly employment in the University or surrounding area.

Do you have a rolling process or collect all of the application materials and then process them together?
We have a rolling process for MS applications. The PhD Program has a hard January 1 deadline.

What are the requirements for being given financial aid (teaching assistant or grant research assistants)?
Please see the financial aid page.

What is the deadline for applications for the Fall term?
PhD Deadline: January 1
MS Deadline: January 15

Do I have to apply separately for financial aid (i.e. a teaching assistantship or graduate student research assistantship)?
No. PhD applicants are automatically considered at the time of application.

Can I start classes in Spring or Summer terms?
No. We only accept applications for the Fall term.

Application deadlines

PhD applications for fall admission are due by January 1. MS applications for fall admission are due by January 15.

Apply online now

Using SOPHAS, the centralized application service for graduate schools of public health.