BCHS offers student funding through four named awards and one general departmental account.
Recent awardees include Alexa Furek (MPH '19) who was awarded funds to apply geospatial mapping to the implementation of smoke-free laws. Candice Biernesser (PhD '19) used her award to explore the impact of social media on suicidal adolescents and to develop a monitoring approach for teens at high risk for suicide. Without these awards, many important research projects would not be possible.
Carol McAllister Award
Based on need and merit, awards can be used for books, fees, stipends, or travel expenses.
Karen S. Peterson Memorial Research Award for Women’s Health Assist with research or practice leading to improvement in women's health.
Joseph and Brigida Ricci Scholarship
Needs-based support for an outstanding student.
Myrna Silverman Scholarship
Needs-based support for an outstanding doctoral student.
BCHS Research Support Fund
Awards from this fund are made to support research toward the MPH, DrPH, or PhD degree.
It is quick and easy to support future students:
- Go to the Pitt Giving page at Give now
- On the Pitt Giving Page, complete the form and mark "choose area(s) of support"
- A box with "select your area(s) of support" will pop up
- Scroll down to the "other" check box at the bottom of the list "support a fund not listed above"
- Click on the "other" check box and then click "continue" at the bottom of the pop-up box.
- Type in the name of the fund (McAllister Fund, Ricci Fund, etc.) and include in parentheses (GSPH) to clarify in which school the fund is housed.
- Complete the online form then click "next"
- Complete the form with your credit card information and click "next"
- You will receive a confirmation e-mail and if University Gift Processing has any issues, they will contact you.