Associate Professor and Director of MHA and MHA/MBA Programs,
Vice Chair for Education, Health Policy and Management
A626 Public Health, 130 DeSoto Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15261
Primary Phone: 967-179-5343
In an administrative capacity, I serve as the Vice Chair for Education and the Director of MHA and MHA/MBA programs for the Department of Health Policy and Management. As the Vice Chair for Education, my primary role is providing oversight for the academic programs offered within the Department of Health Policy and Management (PhD, MHA, MPH, MHA/MBA, JD/MPH, MS in Health Services Research and Policy, and certificates in Health Care Systems Engineering and Health Systems Leadership and Management). As the Director of MHA and MHA/MBA programs, I lead the planning/execution of the MHA program and the joint MHA/MBA program that is offered through a collaboration with the Joseph M. Katz Graduate School of Business.
I conduct research on a range of financial issues impacting organizations within the health industry, primarily the relationship between quality of care and financial performance. I also have a research stream focusing on the development and assessment of management competencies.
I joined the Pitt faculty in July of 2017. Prior to moving into academia, I completed a 23-year career in the military within the Army Medical Department, retiring as a Lieutenant Colonel. During my time on active duty, I served as a Professor, Financial Manager, Health Administrator, and Paramedic. My Army experiences included work in numerous tactical healthcare delivery organizations within the rapid deployment forces, as well as within the Army's network of traditional hospitals. Positions of noteworthiness included commanding in the 101st Airborne Division, providing graduate-level education to over 250 future health executives, being a hospital Chief Financial Officer, and serving as a medic along the Iron Curtain during the Cold War.
2009 | University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS | PhD (Finance)
2000 | Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY | MBA
1992 | Louisiana State University in Shreveport, Shreveport, LA | BGS
I primarily teach courses in Healthcare Financial Management and Professional Development. I also have experience teaching content in Accounting, Microeconomics and Human Resources Management. Courses previously taught include:
-Health Care Financial Management
-Professional Development Seminar
-Fundamentals of Economics and Finance
-Public Health Financial Management
-Financial & Managerial Accounting
Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education (CAHME).
· Member, CAHME Council on Accreditation (July 2018 - Present).
· Member, CAHME Candidacy Committee (January 2016 - Present).
· CAHME Accreditation Fellow (November 2010 - April 2015)
· CAHME Candidacy Committee (January 2016 - Present).
· CAHME Self-Study and Site Visitor Training Instructor (January 2014 - Present).
o Participants included:
· Academic Institutions (CAHME-accredited programs denoted by bold) - Adventist University of Health Sciences, Appalachian State University, Army-Baylor University Graduate Program in Health and Business Administration, Ashford University, A.T. Still University, Austin Peay State University, Baruch College, Baylor University, Boston University, Brown University, California State University – Northridge, California State University – San Bernardino, Capella University, Central Michigan University, Chamberlain University, Clarkson University, Colorado Technical University, Concordia University Irvine, Cornell University, Creighton University, D’Youville College, Dalhousie University, Davenport University, Des Moines University, Drexel University, East Carolina University, Eastern Michigan University, Edgewood College, Empire State College, Ferris State University, Florida A&M University, Florida Gulf Coast University, Florida International University, George Mason University, George Washington University, Georgetown University, Georgia Southern University, Governors State University, Grand Canyon University, Grand Valley State University, Hostra University, Idaho State University, Indiana University, Jefferson College of Health Sciences, Johns Hopkins University, Kansas University Medical Center, Kaplan University, Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine, Liberty University, Lipscomb University, Loma Linda University, Long Island University, Loyola University – Chicago, Marymount University, Metropolitan College of New York, Metropolitan State University of Denver, Montana State University, New York University, Ohio State University, Oklahoma University Health Sciences Center, Our Lady of the Lake College, Pacific University, Penn State University, Pfeiffer University, Purdue University Global, Queen's University of Charlotte, Regis College, Robert Morris University, Rollins College, Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, Rush University, Rutgers University, Sacred Heart University, Saint Joseph’s College of Maine, St. Joseph's University, Saint Louis University, Samford University, Seton Hall University, Siena Heights University, Simmons College, State University of New York at Oswego, Stevenson University, Stony Brook University, Suffolk University, SUNY Downstate Medical Center, Temple University, Texas A&M University Health Science Center, Texas Southern University, Texas Tech University, Texas Women's University, Tulane University, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, University of Alabama-Birmingham, University of Arkansas - Fort Smith, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, University of Baltimore, University of Cincinnati, University of Colorado - Denver, University of Detroit – Mercy, University of Georgia, University of Georgia (Tblisi), University of Illinois - Chicago, University of Iowa, University of Kentucky, University of LaVerne, University of Maryland University College, University of Memphis, University of Miami, University of Nebraska Medical Center, University of Nevada - Las Vegas, University of New Haven, University of New Mexico, University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill, University of North Carolina - Charlotte, University of North Carolina - Wilmington, University of North Texas Health Science Center, University of Pennsylvania (The Wharton School), University of Phoenix, University of Providence, University of Saint Augustine, University of Scranton, University of South Carolina, University of South Florida, University of Southern California, University of Texas – Arlington, University of Texas – Dallas, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler, University of Washington, University of West Florida, University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee, Virginia Commonwealth University, Walden University, Weber State University, Western Governors University, Widener University, Xavier University, Yale University
· Non-Academic Institutions - Delaware Valley ACO, HCA Healthcare, Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS), Methodist Le Bonheur Healthcare, Navy Bureau of Medicine and Surgery, Nursing Practice Corporation, University of Miami Health System
· CAHME Accreditation Council Member (August 2018 – Present), Fellow (November 2010 – April 2015) and Team Member (April 2015 – Present).
· Accreditation site visits included:
Member, Health Administration, Management and Policy Common Application System (HAMPCAS) Committee, Association of University Programs in Health Administration (AUPHA) (January 2015 – December 2017).
-U.S. Army (retired as Lieutenant Colonel), Army Medical Department (1984-1987 and 1992-2011)
Broom, K., Gentry, D., (2018) “The Past, Present and Future of Our Journey Through
Competency-Based Education.” Journal of Healthcare Management Education. Volume 35, Number 2, pp. 123-132(10).
Enard, K., Dotson, E., Broom, K., Dean, J., Wiltshire, J., Elder, K. (2017). Diversity and Inclusion in Graduate Healthcare Management Education: Perspectives from Directors and Students. In press. Journal of Healthcare Administration Education.Volume 34, Number 2, pp. 191-212(22).
Dean, C., Geneus, C., Rice, S., Johns, M., Quasie-Woode, D., Broom, K., Elder, K., (2017) “Assessing the Significance of Health Information Seeking in Chronic Condition Management.” Patient Education and Counseling. Volume 100 , Issue 8 , 1519 - 1526.
Broom, K., Turner, J., Brichto, E., (2016) "How Well Do Programs Fulfill Their Role in Management Development? An Analysis of Competency Assessments Using CAHME Accreditation Outcomes." Journal of Health Administration Education. Volume 33, Number 4, Fall Issue.
Broom, K., Counte, M., Turner, J., (2016) “Research on Physician Management Education: A Focused Review and an Agenda for the Future.” International Journal of Health Research and Innovation, Vol.4. No.1, 2016, 1-16 ISSN: 2051-5057 (print version), 2051-5065 (online)
Broom, K., Hilsenrath, P. (2015) "ACHE Member Survey: Perspectives on Graduate Health Management Education." Journal of Health Administration Education, Volume 32, Number 3, Summer Issue, pp. 341-358(18).
Turner, J., Broom, K., Counte, M. (2015) “Is There a Relationship Between Value-Based Purchasing and Hospital Profitability? An Exploratory Study of Missouri Hospitals.” Health Services Research and Managerial Epidemiology, Volume 2, 2333392815606096.
Turner, J., Broom, K., Goldner, J., Lee, J. (2015) “What Should We Expect? A Comparison of Community Benefit and Projected Tax Liability.” Medical Care Research and Review, 1077558715604565.
Broom, K., Turner, J., Schwab, S., Pesely, M. (2015) “Does Quality Matter? A Study of Stock Price Reactions and the Implications for Healthcare Organizations.” Journal of Health Care Finance*, Summer Issue, p. 1-19.
Turner, J., Broom, K., Elliot, M., Lee, J. (2015) “A Decomposition of Hospital Profitability: An Application of DuPont Analysis to the U.S. Market.” Health Services Research and Managerial Epidemiology, Vol. 2, 2333392815590397.
Broom, K., Turner, J. (2015) “A Competency-Based Approach to Functional Area Expertise: Extending Competency-Based Education to a Healthcare Finance Area of Concentration.” Journal of Health Administration Education, 32(1), p. 25-46.
Turner, J., Broom, K., Elliot, M., Lee, J., (2015) “A Comparison of Capital Structure: The Use of Debt in Investor Owned and Not-For-Profit Hospitals.” Journal of Health Care Finance*, Jan/Feb, p. 1-17.
Bewley, L., Broom, K., Bonica, M., (2014) “What is the Value of Graduate Education? An Economic Value Analysis of Military Affiliation-Based Graduate Programs.” The U.S. Army Medical Department (AMEDD) Journal. Jan/Mar, p. 7-13.
Broom, K., Wood, S., & Sampson, C., (2013). “Current Trends in Graduate-Level Healthcare Management Education: An Examination of Accreditation Outcomes.” Journal of Health Administration Education, 30(3), p. 159-179.
Broom, K., Van Ness, R., Warr, R., (2007). “Cubes to Quads: The Move of QQQ from AMEX to NASDAQ.” Journal of Economics and Business, 59, 520-535.