To apply to the Public Health Science Academy, students must:
- Be a current 10th or 11th grader at:
- Taylor Allderdice High School
- CAPA 6-12
- Barack Obama Academy of International Studies (Pittsburgh Obama 6-12)
- Pittsburgh Science and Technology Academy (SciTech)
- Show a strong interest and ability in science
- Have an overall grade point average of 3.0 (B) or above
- Have successfully completed a biology class by the end of the 2021-22 school year
- Commit to fully participate in all required activities of the 4-week summer program
The following application materials must be submitted:
- Completed online application
- Recommendation form with signature (PDF) from guidance counselor or science teacher
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The application form includes two essay questions. These questions are listed below so you will be prepared when completing the online form. Each essay should be a maximum of 200 words.
- Describe your interests and experiences with science or public health. Include how participation in this program might assist you to fulfill your interests.
- Describe a time when you overcame a challenge. Explain the challenge and what you did to overcome it or find a solution.
April 22, 2022 by 5 p.m. EST
The completed and signed recommendation form can be uploaded at the end of the online application form OR it can be emailed by the deadline to Beth Hoffman.
Applicants will be notified via email to confirm receipt of the online application. A second email will be sent when all application materials have been received. Admissions decisions will be made as soon as possible after the deadline. A third email will be sent with notification of the admissions decision.
The primary mode of communication during the admissions process will be email. Please make certain your email address is correctly written on the online application. Be sure to check your spam/junk inbox for emails from the academy.