Department-Specific Strategic Goals Systems Thinking Lifespan Research Studies Engaging Partners in Global Health Realizing Health Equity
Goal 1: Prepare the next generation of public health leaders through rigorous educational programs.
- Train future leaders in the application of high quality, multidisciplinary analytic methods and prediction tools for assessing policy decisions.
- Develop a decision sciences and simulation concentration in the PhD program.
- Develop an MS degree in Health Services Research and Policy.
- Develop a Joint MHA/MBA degree program.
- Continue to provide a cutting edge, multidisciplinary, competency-based high quality curriculum.
- Improve the prominence of the department in national and international health policy and management organizations.
- Raise national visibility of our programs and faculty by presenting at AUPHA, ACHE, Academy Health and other national meetings for health policy and health management education.
- Develop a course in global and developmental health economics
- Expand relationships to train MHA, MS and PhD students and post-doctoral fellows from other countries
- Continue to improve the quality and diversity of our student population.
- Obtain a T-32 or similar grant to fund PhD students.
Goal 2: Expand knowledge in the field of public health through scientific inquiry and innovation.
- Become a nationally recognized leader in the application of high quality, multidisciplinary analytic methods, simulation and research tools to assess the impact of health policy decisions.
- Expand the research capability through ongoing recruitment of excellent junior and established faculty members with quantitative, multidisciplinary skills.
- Develop research programs with the University's Comparative Effectiveness Research Center, concentrating in methods for observational data and simulation modeling.
- Fully integrate the research activities and implementation mission of the Center for Public Health Practice into the departmental research agenda.
- Increase external funding by 100%.
- Increase collaborative funding with the PHDL
- Increase collaborative funding with Industrial Engineering
- Increase collaborative funding with RAND
- Advance the national and international visibility and reputation of our research faculty through high impact journal publications, policy and advisory committees, study sections and leadership in national organizations.
Goal 3: Advance the health of populations through service to and strategic partnerships with regional, national, and global organizations and communities.
- Enhance population health through the provision evidenced based policy analysis and management practices.
- Collaborate with the Health Policy Institute to develop research capacity in the analysis of population health, health of underserved populations, and important local, state and national health policy issues.
- Become an analytics and implementation partner with UPMC and the UPMC Health Plan to contribute to their system-wide efforts at improving care.
- Incorporate the concepts and activities of public health practice and policy implementation into the external service activities of the department.
- Increase participation in and impact of faculty members through roles in governance of non-profit community, public health, and other health care organizations.
- Develop professional relationships with institutions in other countries to improve global public policy capacity and improve global health.
Goal 4: Enhance the department's capacity to deliver its mission by ensuring adequate resources and operational efficiency and effectiveness.
- Develop sustainable faculty and research partners that support new program growth.
- Partner with the development office to create at least one endowed chair.
- Develop relationships with UPMC and other health systems to provide funded opportunities for project-based courses.
- Seek resources from international organizations to fund faculty time for developing international training programs.
- Develop a more active alumni association for the department to support student scholarships and travel awards and adjunct faculty.
- Develop a department-specific criteria for measurement of academic productivity.
- Explore the development of executive education, healthcare management consulting and other practice-based avenues to expand departmental resources.