Cap off your public health education and gain an important professional credential by taking the Certified in Public Health (CPH) exam.
Benefits of being CPH
- Stay current on best practices and education
- Meet and maintain a national professional standard
- Invest in your career
- Increase recognition of the public health professions
- Raise the visibility of public health
- Read more from NBPHE.
You must have earned 21 or more total credits towards your degree program. For DrPH and MPH students, these credits include the school's public health core courses. Effective fall 2019 three additional courses are part of the MPH core curriculum (PUBHLT 2033, 2034 and 2035). For MS and PhD students the Essentials of Public Health (PUBHLT 2011) course will substitute for the public health core curriculum. Students concurrently enrolled in one core course when scheduled to sit for the exam are considered eligible.
Current Students and Recent Graduates* | Instructions:
- Go to the CPH exam registration web page.
- Create a new account.
- Enter all profile and contact information required and click the orange "Submit" button.
- Next, you will receive a welcome email from "firstname.lastname@example.org". Once you receive and open the email, you will be prompted to log in again with your username and password (the same one you used to create the account).
- Once you are logged in, select the orange "Apply Now" button in the middle of the page to begin the registration process.
- Complete the registration pages by entering in your contact information, demographic information and affiliations (if applicable).
- Continue to the next page where you will select your "student or alumni" eligibility criteria and enter your education information (for example, what degree you are earning and your date of, or expected date of graduation).
- The next page prompts you to answer a few additional questions (for example, how you learned about the CPH exam).
- You then need to select your testing center location (US or International). This page also allows you to search for testing center locations.
- Follow the prompt to review your previous entered information to check for accuracy.
- When you reach step 6, you should log out of the system. Do not submit a payment. You have completed all of the necessary steps to register for the test.
- The school will e-mail students who have registered to confirm registration and determine eligibility.
- Once eligibility is determined, the school will notify the student.
- After you have received your eligibility email, log back into the CPH exam registration web page and enter the information exactly as it was given.
- You will now begin the process to schedule your CPH exam.
*Please note: if eligibility issues are discovered, students will be e-mailed directly to clarify CEPH foundational core course enrollment plans.
Test Prep Resources
* Students completing their degree program within the last academic year of the current CPH cycle. For academic year 2018-19 this includes graduates from: June, August, and December 2018, April, June, and August 2019.
** There is an international testing fee ($100.00) for individuals taking the CPH exam outside of the United States, Puerto Rico, and Canada. This fee must be paid by the test-taker. The Graduate School of Public Health is not responsible for the payment of the international testing fee.
*** If you need to reschedule the CPH exam test date, the first reschedule is free. The second reschedule request requires the Reschedule Request form (located in the CPH Candidate Handbook) and payment of $125. The Graduate School of Public Health is not responsible for the payment of the reschedule fee.
***** If you do not pass the exam, there is a $150 fee should you wish to retake it. The Graduate School of Public Health is not responsible for the payment of this fee.
Frequently Asked Questions