While housed in BCHS, the Journal Club is open to faculty, students, staff, and community members who are interested in health equity from Pitt Public Health and beyond. Journal Club members will take turns in choosing a journal article they find particularly interesting and that can stimulate discussion. Manuscripts are also discussed and feedback is provided to the authors. Faculty-student, staff-student, faculty-staff, community-faculty, and community-staff facilitator teams are encouraged.
Selected Past Journal Club Topics
- The road to dignity by 2030: ending poverty, transforming all lives and protecting the planet
United Nations General Assembly, (2014). Synthesis report of the Secretary General on the post-2015 sustainable development agenda.
Presenters: Joanne Russell, Assistant Dean & Director, Center for Global Health & Maria Abunto, MMPH Candidate
- Paths to Success: Optimal and Equitable Health Outcomes for All
Rust G., Levine R.S., Fry-Johnson Y., Baltrus P., Ye J., & Mack D. (2012). , Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved
, 23 (2): 7-19.
Presenters: Mario Browne, BCHS Doctoral Student & Director, Office of Health Sciences Diversity, and Julie Kenyon, MPH Student
- Racial and Spatial Relations as Fundamental Determinants of Health in Detroit
Schulz, A., Williams, D., Israel, B., & Bex Lempert, L. (2002). The Milbank Quarterly
, 80(4), 677-707
Presenters: Jeanette Trauth, Associate Professor and Francesca Flores, MPH student
- Poor people, poor places, and poor health: the mediating role of social networks and social capital.
Catell, V. (2001). Social Science & Medicine
, 52 (2001) 1501–1516
Presenters: Jason Flatt, BCHS Doctoral Student and Laura Macia, PhD, BCHS
- Presenters: Mark Friedman, Assistant Professor, and Beatrice Lors, MPH/MSW student